Spicy Sausage & Apple Overnight Casserole
For many years I’ve hosted Mother’s Day brunch. One year I didn’t make this delightfully spicy casserole and thought the family would toss me from my own house! —Dawn Vance, Geneva, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 2 pounds bulk spicy pork sausage
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 12 cups cubed Italian bread
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon. Add apples to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until tender, 4-6 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine sausage, apples, bread and cheese. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and mustard; pour over bread mixture. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, covered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until golden brown, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time as needed or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 444 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Sausage & Apple Overnight Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.