Sausage & Apple Cornbread Bake
I make a corn bread-style bake with sausage, maple syrup and apples when we want a hearty breakfast. It’s sweet, savory and easy to make. —Stevie Wilson, Fremont, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with apples.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, milk and egg just until moistened. Pour over apples. Bake, uncovered, until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with maple syrup.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 400°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 618 calories, 34g fat (10g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1209mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Pigs in the Pudding in Breakfast & Brunch 2015 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.