Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the corn, milk, eggs and oil. Pour half into a greased 10-in. ovenproof iron skillet. Sprinkle with the sausage mixture and cheese. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture on top. Bake at 425° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the corn bread comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 369 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 731mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 29, 2018
We've been making a similar dish forever that has tomato-chili sauce instead of the cheese. Was so happy to find this recipe when I ran out of diced tomatoes! Served it with cream of tomato soup--just right on a cold day. Used no salt added creamed corn, whole wheat flour, and reduced sodium baking powder to make it closer to my diet needs (more fiber, less salt), can't tell the difference. Thanks!
Dec 29, 2013
Five stars. I've been making this for years. Use a iron skillet with super hot butter melted in it before you pour in the batter. Makes a nice crisp crust.
Feb 10, 2011
My husband and other family members give this recipe all-round thumbs up.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.