Mexican Sausage & Cornbread Strata
The beauty of my Mexican strata is that you can change it depending on the veggies you have on hand. I make mine most often with corn and pico de gallo. —Lisa Huff, Wilton, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound fresh chorizo
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup pico de gallo, drained
- 8 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo and onion over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes or until chorizo is cooked through, breaking into crumbles; drain. In a large bowl combine chorizo mixture, corn and pico de gallo; fold in cornbread. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In another large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, garlic powder and pepper; pour over cornbread mixture.
- Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes or until golden brown and center is set. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Sep 30, 2017
Prepared this recipe this a.m. not a huge fan of Chorizo so did sub in sausage but loved this recipe. I did have fresh corn and used it, uncooked and it was just fabulous - this will be a regular in our house