Ham ‘n’ Cheese Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound fully cooked ham, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- Arrange six slices of bread in the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with ham and cheese. Cover with remaining bread.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in onion and green pepper; pour over all. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Pour butter over bread; sprinkle with cornflakes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 375 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 197mg cholesterol, 1081mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Apr 6, 2017
This was ok if you like ham and cheese but I like recipes with more flavor.
Jul 26, 2016
QUESTION.....can I freeze this uncooked? Can it be frozen after cooking? I need lots of freezable recipes
Mar 13, 2015
Turned out great! It's almost like a giant ham & cheese omelette.
Mar 11, 2015
Fantastic but needs more onions and peppers for my taste.
Mar 4, 2015
I get so angry when people rate a recipe they have changed, but I didn't have a green pepper. I did have some leftover asparagus, so I chopped it up and added it. FANTASTIC!
Apr 6, 2014
We loved this. I left the cornflakes off and it was still great. A keeper
Aug 29, 2013
Very easy & very tasty! I loved that I had all the ingredients on hand. Perfect for morning, noon, or night.
Dec 25, 2012
Made this for Christmas morning. Everyone loved it!
May 4, 2010
This is a delicious recipe. Wonderful flavor. I made it the night before and it made a lovely Sunday morning breakfast for my family. I made it w/o onions and green peppers, simply because I don't like cutting onions =) and don't care for green peppers. Still tasted delicious.