Mushroom Sausage Strata
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the sausage, mushrooms and cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour over the cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Freeze option: After assembling, cover and freeze strata. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake strata as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 296 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 170mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 12, 2017
This is my go-to recipe for brunch, and the dish always garners lots of compliments! I prefer to saut? fresh mushrooms rather than using the canned ones. The type of sausage you use makes a difference, too -- I like to use sausage with a lot of herbs and spices, or to add my own if the sausage is mild.
Dec 14, 2015
Didn't care for this at all. Made it as directed except only used cheddar cheese. It had no taste at all except for the sausage. I feel it was a waste of time & money. A total disappointment.
Feb 1, 2015
This was excellent!!! I made half, put in a 9 x 9. Used 4 eggs. Had 8 oz fresh mushrooms and 3 chopped green onion sauteed with the sausage. Baked for 30 minutes and forgot the worcestershire. . . and set it on the stove for 10 minutes before baking (while the ovenpreheated).
Dec 30, 2014
Made this over the holiday and it was delicious. I used fresh mushrooms instead of canned and that worked just fine. A keeper!
Dec 15, 2014
This is a keeper recipe. This breakfast or brunch casserole was delicious and very easy to put together. I also agree that you could use hashbrowns in this recipe instead of bread. I will make this recipe for my family again and definitely recommend it to friends.
Nov 29, 2014
I love sausage stratas and hash browns are NOT as good as bread in them. Don't fall for that!
Mar 20, 2014
I did leave out the worcestershire, and used ham and sausage, best strata I have ever had! Made it for my friends and they all had to have the recipie, what a hit! Also had to use evaported milk because I did not have 1/2 &1/2.
Jul 13, 2012
I actually made this for dinner tonight. I stumbled upon it while looking for something to do with ground sausage. I sauteed an onion with the sausage, used 12 ounces of mushrooms, and used skim milk and fat free half and half. I just had it in the fridge for an hour or so. This was a nice surprise. Everyone liked it. I will make this again.
Dec 20, 2010
Dec 3, 2008
you can also use hash browns instead of the bread