Mushroom Sausage Omelets
When our children were young, I prepared this recipe regularly because it's fast and easy. Loaded with cheese, Italian sausage, fresh mushrooms and garlic, the recipe makes two omelets, but the ingredients can easily be increased to suit larger families.—Catherine Fontana, Fox Lake, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 fresh Italian sausage link (4 ounces), casing removed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- In a 10-in. nonstick skillet, cook sausage and mushrooms over medium-high heat 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; wipe skillet clean.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cheese, garlic and pepper until blended. Stir in parsley.
- In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Pour in half of the egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges. As eggs set, push cooked portions toward the center, letting uncooked eggs flow underneath. When eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains, spoon half of the sausage mixture on one side; fold omelet in half.
- Cut omelet in half; slide onto serving plates. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts1/2 omelet: 360 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 494mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Sausage Omelets in Quick Cooking September/October 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.