Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
I’ve been making these tasty tidbits at Christmastime for years. Use Italian sausage if you’d prefer a little more zing.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pork-flavored stuffing mix
- 24 large fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small saucepan, bring water and butter just to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in stuffing mix. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove stems from mushrooms and finely chop stems; set caps aside. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and chopped mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Fluff stuffing with a fork; add to sausage mixture. Stir in parsley and mustard. Stuff into mushroom caps.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed mushroom: 73 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat.
Originally published as Stuffed Mushrooms in Country Woman Christmas 2012