Cheese Sausage Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups whole milk
- 9 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, bacon and mustard. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 373 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 217mg cholesterol, 1097mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Apr 9, 2015
My family asked for 3rd helpings... the ultimate compliment!
Sep 24, 2014
I love how you can make it a day before! We made this numerous times already Sunday mornings. We do have to bake a little longer that stated. Pour some maple syrup on top before eating, it is awesome!
Aug 10, 2013
I always make this for Christmas morning. It' s so easy to pop in while enjoying family time. I use turkey sausage to lighten it up a bit.
Mar 31, 2013
I made this for Easter brunch and everyone loved it. So easy to make and delicious too!
Jan 1, 2013
cut the recipe by 1/3, added a cup of leftover brown rice to reduce bread, used 4 slices of sprouted grain bread and a pkg of bacon bits and 1# bulk turkey sausage to reduce the fat. Next time I'll add mushrooms.
Oct 1, 2012
I layered ingredients in a 9x13 pan--sausage on bottom,then bread, then egg mixture, then cheese, then bacon on top along with a sprinkling of some dried herbs. Very pretty! It was a big hit at our church brunch.
Apr 21, 2012
This recipe was so good. My whole family of picky eaters loved it.
Feb 24, 2011
I have also found that it needs to bake longer than an hour. I use day old french bread. I make this frequently and always get rave reviews.
Jul 24, 2010
This recipe is hearty and delicious, and I love that it is prepared ahead of time! I make this for a tasty Sunday morning surprise for my family if I have to work, they just take it out and heat it up!
Jun 22, 2010
We substituted veggies for the bacon to cut down on cost and fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.