Cheese Sausage Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups whole milk
- 9 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, bacon and mustard. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 373 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 217mg cholesterol, 1097mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Apr 9, 2015
My family asked for 3rd helpings... the ultimate compliment!
Sep 24, 2014
I love how you can make it a day before! We made this numerous times already Sunday mornings. We do have to bake a little longer that stated. Pour some maple syrup on top before eating, it is awesome!
Aug 10, 2013
I always make this for Christmas morning. It' s so easy to pop in while enjoying family time. I use turkey sausage to lighten it up a bit.
Mar 31, 2013
I made this for Easter brunch and everyone loved it. So easy to make and delicious too!
Jan 1, 2013
cut the recipe by 1/3, added a cup of leftover brown rice to reduce bread, used 4 slices of sprouted grain bread and a pkg of bacon bits and 1# bulk turkey sausage to reduce the fat. Next time I'll add mushrooms.
Oct 1, 2012
I layered ingredients in a 9x13 pan--sausage on bottom,then bread, then egg mixture, then cheese, then bacon on top along with a sprinkling of some dried herbs. Very pretty! It was a big hit at our church brunch.
Apr 21, 2012
This recipe was so good. My whole family of picky eaters loved it.
Feb 24, 2011
I have also found that it needs to bake longer than an hour. I use day old french bread. I make this frequently and always get rave reviews.
Jul 24, 2010
This recipe is hearty and delicious, and I love that it is prepared ahead of time! I make this for a tasty Sunday morning surprise for my family if I have to work, they just take it out and heat it up!
Jun 22, 2010
We substituted veggies for the bacon to cut down on cost and fat.