Veggie Sausage Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 medium green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 12 slices bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, green peppers and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard. Stir in the sausage mixture, bread, spinach, cheeses and zucchini.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Oct 31, 2016
We loved this!! I used a spicy sausage and an Italian sausage, because that's what I had. And we cubed about 2/3 of a loaf of French bread. It was delicious! We also ended up putting a portion of it in a loaf pan, as the 13x9 was overflowing. This recipe is definitely a keeper! The zucchini seems like a strange addition, but it's SO GOOD!
Aug 5, 2015
Excellent recipe! We made this when we had overnight guests and it was so nice to be able to pop it in the oven then next morning instead of slaving in the kitchen. Added about 1 cups of mushrooms to the recipe and it turned out great!
May 16, 2013
I really liked the taste of the recipe. I didn't use anywhere near the same amount of sausage because of the sodium but I did use one of the chicken apple sausages and diced it really fine for more flavor. I also used no sodium bread and as dense as the brand I buy is, it really helped in this recipe. It soaked up more of the water in the zucchini. I was a little afraid it would dry out the casserole but it didn't. Since there are two of us, I made only 1//2 the recipe in a pie plate. I did not make it all and freeze half because zucchini can be very mushy when frozen.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.