Broccoli Cheese Strata
This strata recipe is an excellent easy-to-prepare brunch or lunch for two. I enjoy it so much, I often make it for myself and reheat the extra portion in the microwave. —Mina Dyck, Boissevain, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 slices white bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- In a small microwave-safe dish, microwave broccoli and onions in water on high for 1 minute; drain and set aside. Place bread in a shallow 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add broccoli mixture and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard, dill, nutmeg and pepper; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 336 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 448mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Cheese Strata in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008