Spinach Feta Strata
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 10 slices French bread (1 inch thick) or 6 croissants, split
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a greased 3-qt. or 13x9-in. baking dish, arrange French bread or croissant halves with sides overlapping.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, spinach, salt, nutmeg and pepper; pour over bread. Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 190 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 443mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Mar 10, 2019
Made this with leftover croissants and it was really delightful. Made 1/2 batch in 9x9 pan, made 4 servings, not 6. I did not overlap croissants and it took far less than recipe says and keeps the fat calories down. Used 2 eggs and 2 servings liquid egg, also cutting fat/calories. Might add a little bacon or sausage. Note that the nutrition facts listed would be with french bread, not croissants. Will definitely make again.
Dec 22, 2018
This has been our annual Christmas morning breakfast since it was published in The Spirit of Christmas book 7 in 1993. I used to make a huge breakfast for Christmas morning and it was a lot of work so I absolutely love the ease of this dish and how the aroma wafts through the house as we open our stockings. We usually just add a glass of sparkling cider for an tasty breakfast, though I have gone all out with ham steak, skillet potatoes and fruit when we had family join us. I like to add about 1/2 tsp of dill weed to my Strata.
Feb 19, 2017
I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and thought it was very easy to make!
Dec 29, 2013
I tried this because I had some Feta cheese in the fridge that I wanted to use before it soured. This is good! Glad to have another meatless option for the breakfast potlucks we have at work...
Aug 23, 2013
This is a regular on our table, even the kids like it. We are trying to eat less meat and this is nice, easy to make, filling meal. We do not miss the meat. Depending on my mood I will add a bit more seasoning, but its pretty good as is (I cook low-salt due to BP, so for us there is enough saltiness from the cheese).
Jan 6, 2011
easy and acceptable to my toddlers. they even enjoyed the leftovers in their lunchbox the next day. the 'kelp' like flavour of the baked spinach works together with the tangy cheese. yummo - thanks.