Basil Vegetable Strata
I've been cooking this strata for years, and my family just can't get enough! The fresh basil gives this healthy brunch dish an added flavor boost. —Jean L. Ecos, Hartland, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, thin strips
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan and add to the mushrooms.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add peppers, leek, salt and pepper; cook and stir until leek is tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in sauteed mushrooms and onion.
- In a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of each of the following: bread cubes, vegetable mixture, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites and milk until blended; pour over layers. Sprinkle with basil. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats.
- Bake, covered, 50 minutes. Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.