The original recipe for this wonderful egg dish called for sausage, but fresh asparagus is tasty—and healthier, too! I serve this easy,elegant dish with a salad and mini pecan rolls.—Amy Grover, Salem, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 6 bread slices, crust removed and cubed
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; boil, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, milk, bread cubes, eggs, cheese and salt. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Asparagus Strata in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.