Chicken Cheese Strata
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed French bread
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, saute chicken in 2 tablespoons butter until no longer pink. Add broccoli, onion salt, thyme, rosemary and pepper; heat through. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In same skillet, toast bread cubes in remaining butter until lightly browned. In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk and soup; pour over bread cubes. Stir in chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 570 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1282mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Nov 20, 2016
Nothing to write home about. I thought it was very bland. I'm a big texture person and it felt like I was eating a french toast casserole with chicken. Won't go out of my way to make it again.
Jul 3, 2014
My family and guests all loved this the first time I made it and have been asked to make it several times since. I used cream of mushroom soup instead of onion and instead of making everything in one skillet I toasted the bread in a cast iron dish, added the rest of the mixture from the skillet and baked in the cast iron dish. Quick, easy and tasty!
Apr 12, 2012
Quick and easy to make...my family LOVED it!
Nov 6, 2011
I halved the recipe and substituted chicken stuffing mix for the French bread which gave it more flavor. Needed more moisture too so I added a little more milk and cream of onion soup. I used cheese but don't see the point, I'd like it without. It was okay but nothing to write home about.
Sep 4, 2011
Excellent for such a quick and easy recipe. Even my 5 year old who hates broccoli gobbled it up, broccoli and all. To make it healthier I used whole wheat bread, non-fat milk (which worked fine), and omitted the first bit of butter to fry chicken in. Also used cream of chicken and wine soup and used a smidgen of cheese. YUM!
Aug 18, 2011
I used ground beef instead of chicken, and fresh broccoli rather than frozen. It was delicious!
Aug 9, 2011
substituted 3 additional cups of veggies for 3 cups of the bread, used Pepperidge Farm Sage dressing instead of french bread. Very yummy!
Apr 29, 2011
This looks so good!
Apr 26, 2011
My husband and I don't like thyme and so I used sage instead. It was a great change for us and we really enjoyed it. I also used cream of chicken soup instead of cream of onion soup.
Mar 10, 2011
Really good! I'm pretty sure it took me over 30 minutes to make, because it took a while cutting up the bread and the chicken, but overall it wasn't that hard. Thanks for another great recipe! :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.