Chicken Cheese Lasagna
Total TimePrep:25 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour and salt until blended; cook until bubbly. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, parsley and remaining mozzarella; set aside. Spread one-quarter of the cheese sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; cover with one-third of the noodles. Layer with half of the ricotta mixture, half of the spinach and half of the chicken.
- Cover with one-quarter of the cheese sauce and one-third of the noodles. Repeat layers of ricotta mixture, spinach, chicken and one-quarter cheese sauce. Cover with remaining noodles and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 410 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 830mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Apr 14, 2018
This was SOOOO good! I cut this in half for my husband and I and used an 8x8 pan. I also used no-boil lasagna and that worked out well! Because of the size of the noodles and the 8x8 pan, I used 6 noodles. Everything else was made exactly as written (divided in half). I do believe there was just a tad too much spinach (personal preference), so next time I will cut back on that. For the sauce, I used just a little over half a cup as the "one quarter of the cheese sauce" and made sure each noodle was completely covered by either ricotta or the sauce, so that it wouldn't dry out. I believe it took about 38 minutes in the oven for me. From beginning to end this recipe took quite a while (as I had to cook the chicken beforehand), so next time I will have cooked the chicken in advance. A great recipe that I look forward to making again!
May 7, 2017
This lasagna is great. It's a perfect comfort food!
Feb 26, 2016
I made this with Ina Garten's leftover lemon chicken recipe from food network. I cut the recipe in half and made it in a bread pan. My husband absolutely loved this dish. He said it was his favorite lasagna. I made it with fat free skim milk, fat free ricotta. Good idea adding some greens.
Dec 31, 2015
added mushrooms, and the zest of one lemon into the ricotta mixture, which balanced the heaviness of the cheese & dairy. Will make again, with fresh herbs as the only change.
Mar 3, 2013
The sauce is bland. It either needs more seasoning or a stronger chees.
Aug 23, 2012
I am a Wisconsin girl so when something says chicken and CHEESE lasagna, it better have some awesome cheesy flavor! This does not! It has a ton of cheese that has no flavor! I would do half mozzarella half asiago or some other tasty cheese! Then I would make it again!
May 27, 2012
Excellent recipe - no tweeks needed! Have made it many times - at home and for large crowds. Always gets good reviews. Thank you!
Oct 1, 2011
Fabulous! My kids even ate it and they don't like spinach!
Apr 10, 2011
loved this lasagna!
Nov 3, 2010
Excellent recipe. Made it exactly as written. A rare recipe where no tweaks are needed. Thank you!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.