Chicken Marsala Lasagna
I love Chicken Marsala, but most recipes do not serve a crowd. This version is one I invented and make enough for 12 people. —Debbie Shannon, Ringgold, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, mix 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and salt; sprinkle over chicken breasts. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook onion in butter over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook until tender, 4-5 minutes longer. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, 1/2 cup wine and pepper; bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and remaining wine until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in ham and chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine ricotta cheese, spinach, Italian cheese blend, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs and remaining Italian seasoning. Spread 1 cup chicken mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles, about 3/4 cup chicken mixture and about 1 cup ricotta mixture. Repeat layers 3 times.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked lasagna; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover lasagna with foil; bake as directed until heated through and a thermometer inserted into the center reads 165°, increasing time to 45-50 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Originally published as Chicken Marsala Lasagna in Recipe Card Collection Fall 2013