Chicken Marsala Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, mix 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and salt; sprinkle over chicken breasts. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook onion in butter over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook until tender, 4-5 minutes longer. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, 1/2 cup wine and pepper; bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and remaining wine until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in ham and chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine ricotta cheese, spinach, Italian cheese blend, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs and remaining Italian seasoning. Spread 1 cup chicken mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles, about 3/4 cup chicken mixture and about 1 cup ricotta mixture. Repeat layers 3 times.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked lasagna; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover lasagna with foil; bake as directed until heated through and a thermometer inserted into the center reads 165°, increasing time to 45-50 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 388 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 749 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Mar 11, 2020
Hi Debbie in GA. We have similar if not the same taste buds. I am fixing this for 2nd time. We love it so much....and every ingredient melds to produce the flavors and textures of an expensive high dollar restaurant plate! Thank you, from Cheryl in SC
Nov 1, 2019
Will be trying this recipe tonight to bring to work tomorrow. God willing it is delicious and it blesses my co-workers! That's a great question ablovin! I looked online and based on what I found it would be the dry wine.
Jul 15, 2015
What type of Marsala wine, dry or sweet? Please clarify.