Chicken Marsala Bake
My Marsala bake is a little different from the "normal" potluck dish, so it's a nice change of pace to take to dinners. The best part: I serve it with fried polenta slices, so it's completely gluten-free and perfect for my husband, who has celiac disease. —Deborah Stevens, Goodyear, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each), cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients; rub over chicken. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on both sides. Transfer chicken to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish and a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallot; cook and stir until tender. Add prosciutto and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth, wine, parsley and pepper; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream until smooth; stir into sauce. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 238 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Marsala Bake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017