Chicken Marsala Bake
My Marsala bake is a little different from the "normal" potluck dish, so it's a nice change of pace to take to dinners. The best part: I serve it with fried polenta slices, so it's completely gluten-free and perfect for my husband, who has celiac disease. —Deborah Stevens, Goodyear, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each), cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients; rub over chicken. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on both sides. Transfer chicken to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish and a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallot; cook and stir until tender. Add prosciutto and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth, wine, parsley and pepper; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream until smooth; stir into sauce. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°.