Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1-3/4 cups crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup minced Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes, wing sauce, water, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup blue cheese, parsley and egg. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, 1-1/2 cups sauce, 2/3 cup ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 2/3 cup cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup blue cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 20-25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 466 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 1680mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Sep 20, 2017
This was very time consuming and the outcome wasn't worth it. All you could taste was buffalo sauce. We will be looking for another recipe that tastes like chicken with some wing sauce. On a positive note, we really liked the carrots and celery.
Feb 25, 2017
I'm going to give this recipe another try and hope that I can fix what was unsatisfactory for us by...1) Eliminating the 1/2 tsp of salt2) Keeping extra blue cheese on hand so I can add more to my serving3) Using (if I can find some) mild wing sauce so it isn't so spicy for my kiddosIf the above steps don't help, the recipe is going in the circular file.
Oct 26, 2016
I don't want to hurt the creator's feelings… But this was not contest winning in our household. It would've tasted good without the buffalo wing sauce... it just over powered it and that's all you could taste
Jul 10, 2016
I have made this dish several times and my family loves it!! I choose to throw shredded mozzarella on top instead. I could eat this once a week! It makes for great leftovers too.
Mar 13, 2016
I made this for a potluckand most seemed. to enjoy it. I am from-the Buffalo area, so have enjoyed wings for a long time. I liked the spiciness of the dish, but might tone it down a bit by using less hot sauce in the future, depending on who I'm serving it to.
Feb 18, 2016
I made this just like the recipe said, (well, almost, because I forgot to put in the last three lasagna noodles....we put them on top after it baked), and I don't know if it was the brand of wing sauce we used or what, but it was just too salty and tart. I even added a little sugar to combat the tartness, but it didn't seem to help. I couldn't taste the blue cheese, (the cheese came in 5 oz. packages, and I didn't want to spend another $3 for a package I'd only use part of), so there was a little less than called for, but it tasted pretty good anyway. Extremely rich. Don't think I'd make it again.
Nov 13, 2015
this is the best--I make it often and it freezes well
Oct 3, 2015
Went exactly by recipe, used Frank's hot buffalo wing sauce. It was so, so salty and I usually love salty food! Also very very rich. More like a dip than a main dish. I literally am going to take out the noodles, add some queso or other easy to melt mild cheese and make a dip for game day today.
Jun 6, 2015
My family loves this recipe. It has also became a most requested dish for potluck dinners at work as well. One of the best recipes I have ever tried and it is really pretty easy to make.
Apr 8, 2015
This was wonderful. Made it for different groups - all enjoyed it. Would make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.