Chicken Broccoli Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Whisk half into eggs; return all to pan. Cook and stir over low heat for about 1 minute or until mixture reaches at least 160°. Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and cayenne. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Add the chicken, broccoli, carrot, parsley, pepper and remaining salt; cook for 3 minutes. Spread 1/2 cup of the Parmesan custard mixture into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Layer with a third of the noodles, half of the chicken mixture, 1/2 cup Parmesan custard, a third of the mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, mozzarella and Parmesan custard. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 408 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Apr 16, 2009
I have made this numerous times. My husband does not like the traditional lasagna but he loves this. I often half the recipe, using 2 eggs and bake in an 8x8 pan. Yum Yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.