Hearty Chicken Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (32 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Add chicken; heat through.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and remaining salt.
- Drain noodles. Place four noodles in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with a third of the cheese mixture, chicken mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and top is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 404 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 987mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 10, 2017
I cooked this ahead and froze it for our annual deer hunting as I didn't want to take time cooking. Everyone loved it!
Sep 27, 2015
I enjoyed this dish. It is a great use of leftover chicken and a good way to lighten up lasagna.
Dec 22, 2014
Very special recipe. My family loved it. I think the cottage cheese is much better than ricotta.
Dec 10, 2014
I thought this was a great recipe, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the texture of the cottage cheese vs the ricotta. You definitely need the full cottage cheese measure (I tried to use a 24 oz container and really had to stretch it), and extra sauce. To keep things simple, I now throw 3 decent-sized chicken breasts in the crockpot in the a.m., then shred it and throw it in our leftover sauce in place of making the diced tomato part of the recipe.
Dec 8, 2014
I always have used cottage cheese in place of ricotta. It is so much more creamy. Ricotta is very dry and does not melt. I always make mine with cottage cheese albeit eggs. Why add extra fat and cholesterol (from the eggs) when you don't need to. Chicken w/b a nice change though.
Dec 7, 2014
Cottage cheese in lasagna? I don't think so. Use part-skim ricotta for a creamy lasagna.
Jan 9, 2013
I loved this recipe, as my traditional lasagne seems always to come out runny and not a solid slice type of dish. My husband, however, found it to be a little dry and wanted a bit more sauce and perhaps more cottage cheese mixture.
Dec 31, 2012
Prep time took a little longer than I had expected, but the lasagna was awesome! We were able to freeze half of it.
Nov 28, 2012
I made this with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving instead of the chicken. I was awesome! You never knew you were eating leftovers with a change up like this. Now my family will look forward to there being extra turkey but I will make it other times too with the chicken. Just make sure to use a deep 9x13 dish or it is too much filling and it bubbles over.
Nov 28, 2012
I like to use the base recipe. I would use the Montery-Jack Cheese as a cheese that will melt well into the base recipe. Use the grated Parmesan as well - the taste will excell. LOL :-)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.