Hearty Sausage and Cheese Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 pound sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon. Discard drippings in pan.
- Add onions to same pan; cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, celery, parsley, bay leaf, brown sugar, oregano, salt and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
- Remove 1 cup sauce from pan. Stir cooked sausage into remaining sauce. Spread reserved sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and half of each of the following: sausage mixture, ricotta, mozzarella and provolone. Repeat layers (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, 55-65 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 303 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2018
There is no celery in the ingredient list, why is it in the directions?
Dec 29, 2017
Outstanding... I got rid of all my other lasagna recipes... This is the only one I will make.
Jan 15, 2016
This lasagna was excellent. I grew up on Mom's lasagna, and he's was very good. This lasagna, however, is as good or better than what Mom had made.Five stars...
Dec 16, 2015
Sep 15, 2011
A very good and VERY cheesy lasagna. I would make this one again, but I think I've had better. I think I like it better with ground beef as opposed to sausage, but that is just a personal preference.
Jan 22, 2011
This was a hit at our dinner party this evening. Thanks for the great recipe – I'll use it again!