Chicken and Ham Lasagna
This creamy version of lasagna goes over great at community get-togethers. My husband doesn't like broccoli, so I often substitute zucchini and yellow squash from our garden. I precook the squash before adding it to the mushroom mixture. -Pamela Grady, Inman, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the broccoli, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spread 2 cups broccoli mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with four noodles, overlapping if needed. Layer with 2 cups broccoli mixture, 1-1/2 cups of ham, 2/3 cup Swiss cheese, four noodles, 2 cups broccoli mixture, chicken, 2/3 cup Swiss cheese, four noodles and remaining broccoli mixture, Swiss cheese and ham.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 362 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Chicken and Ham Lasagna in Taste of Home June/July 2003