Ham & Veggie Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cook broccoli and cauliflower according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 2 teaspoons butter. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until blended. Stir in ham, pepper and vegetables.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with toasted crumbs. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 420 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1233mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein.
Dec 30, 2019
I made this for dinner last night because I had ham that I wanted to use. It was okay but next time I will make some changes. Instead of making the white sauce, I will use a con of mushroom soup and instead of messing with the bread crumbs, which I didn't really care for, I will use crushed Ritz crackers mixed with melted butter for the topping. The only change I made to the original recipe was using two bags of broccoli/cauliflower mix.
Dec 29, 2019
I made this today because I wanted something with lots of veggies and to use up some leftovers. I usually try to follow a recipe exactly the first time I make it, but I had to make some changes because of what I had on hand. I used half a head of fresh broccoli and half a head of cauliflower, because that is what I had in the fridge. I forgot about the Parmesan cheese, but since my son is a big cheese fan I added 1/4 cup Prozolone and Mozzarella mix. I didn't have any bread crumbs, but I did have about 1/4 C stuffing mix left over from another recipe, so I sprinkled that on top. I baked it for 10 minutes, sprinkled a handful of cheddar cheese on top and baked another 10 minutes to get a nice golden crust. It was pretty good and my son, who can be picky, ate it up saying it was good. Oh, yes, I added chopped garlic and some onion seasoning to the cheese sauce - our family adds garlic and onion to nearly everything we make!
Dec 15, 2019
Delicious. Steamed fresh broccoli and cauliflower. Also, put french’s crispy onions on top for the last 5 min of baking. Will definitely make again!
Nov 4, 2019
I wish people would stop being so judgmental about ingredients that are used. If you don't like frozen vegetables don't make the recipe. I'm sure some people find them to be convenient to have on hand. Haggertrl
Nov 1, 2019
Super easy. I didn't make any changes. Quick, easy weeknight dinner recipe!
Nov 1, 2019
I wish T of H wouldn't post recipes using processed vegetables. Fresh cauliflower and broccoli are available everywhere, year-round, work great in this recipe and don't take longer to cook than frozen.. At least it doesn't call for canned soup! Ham is salty enough on its own
Mar 29, 2019
This is a good recipe. I made it as written, and my family really liked it. I will definitely make it again.
Feb 7, 2019
This is definitely a good casserole. You can change up the vegetables and add different seasonings to enhance the flavor.
Apr 6, 2018
Really liked this recipe. I used fresh veggies as I prefer fresh. Just steamed them in microwave first. I also had some cabbage so added that too. I added some fresh grounded nutmeg to the rue for some added flavor.
Jan 27, 2018
Delicious!!! I made this to use up some leftover spiral sliced ham that I had. The cheese sauce is really yummy as well. I added a few diced garlic cloves to the vegetables for a little added flavor. I also made some cheddar biscuits to go with it to round out the meal. This recipe is a keeper!