Ham & Veggie Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cook broccoli and cauliflower according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 2 teaspoons butter. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until blended. Stir in ham, pepper and vegetables.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with toasted crumbs. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 420 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1233mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein.
May 22, 2020
Great way to use leftover ham!
Apr 11, 2020
I had left over ham never knowing what to do with it, came across this recipe, it was perfect so creamy and tasty I used buttered ritz crackers and cheddar cheese. My picky husband loved it
Mar 25, 2020
Great recipe! We loved it! @sactofoodie. That response is simply not true. Most frozen vegetables are flash frozen soon after they are picked, freezing in the nutrients. You can quite easily have more vitamins in frozen than fresh vegetables. Studies have shown they have higher levels of antioxidants and water soluble vitamins. They don’t lose fiber either, plus they produce less food waste. This is proven science. If you don’t like a recipe just move on.
Mar 25, 2020
I made this cake exactly as recipe. It was perfect. Delicious and moist. It is the best lemon cake I have ever tasted.
Mar 22, 2020
To SactoFoodie who said frozen vegetables are processed....they are not. Most frozen vegetables are just as nutritious as fresh. I use them quite often and I am a nutrition junkie! So keep up the good work Taste of Home!
Dec 30, 2019
I made this for dinner last night because I had ham that I wanted to use. It was okay but next time I will make some changes. Instead of making the white sauce, I will use a con of mushroom soup and instead of messing with the bread crumbs, which I didn't really care for, I will use crushed Ritz crackers mixed with melted butter for the topping. The only change I made to the original recipe was using two bags of broccoli/cauliflower mix.
Dec 29, 2019
I made this today because I wanted something with lots of veggies and to use up some leftovers. I usually try to follow a recipe exactly the first time I make it, but I had to make some changes because of what I had on hand. I used half a head of fresh broccoli and half a head of cauliflower, because that is what I had in the fridge. I forgot about the Parmesan cheese, but since my son is a big cheese fan I added 1/4 cup Prozolone and Mozzarella mix. I didn't have any bread crumbs, but I did have about 1/4 C stuffing mix left over from another recipe, so I sprinkled that on top. I baked it for 10 minutes, sprinkled a handful of cheddar cheese on top and baked another 10 minutes to get a nice golden crust. It was pretty good and my son, who can be picky, ate it up saying it was good. Oh, yes, I added chopped garlic and some onion seasoning to the cheese sauce - our family adds garlic and onion to nearly everything we make!
Dec 15, 2019
Delicious. Steamed fresh broccoli and cauliflower. Also, put french’s crispy onions on top for the last 5 min of baking. Will definitely make again!
Nov 4, 2019
I wish people would stop being so judgmental about ingredients that are used. If you don't like frozen vegetables don't make the recipe. I'm sure some people find them to be convenient to have on hand. Haggertrl
Nov 1, 2019
Super easy. I didn't make any changes. Quick, easy weeknight dinner recipe!