Hearty Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute celery and onion in oil until tender. Stir in chicken, beans, chili powder and cumin; heat through.
- Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine tomatoes and soup; pour over chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake according to directions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 346 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jun 5, 2015
I used fire roasted diced tomatoes, and it had an impressive flavor that seemed to get better with every bite. Filling and satisfying.
Apr 24, 2012
This was good!
Feb 5, 2012
Very easy to make, but lacks flavor when following the recipe. I added wild rice, extra chili powder, garlic, pepper to taste. With the added flavor the cassarole is great! I strongly recommend tasting before putting the cassarole in the oven to check for flavor.
Apr 7, 2011
I absolutely love the recipe! I'm a vegetarian, so I use tofu instead of chicken, then serve it over a bed of rice. Just delicious!!
Mar 23, 2011
Just made this last night and my family loved it. Didn't have kidney beans, so I doubled up on the black beans. Will be making this again and again!
May 21, 2010
I made this for dinner tonight for my husband and I and we both really liked it! I only made a couple of changes- I only had one chicken breast out, so I add a few strips of bacon to the pan as I cooked the onion and celery and omitted the oil. I also didn't have kidney beans, so I used great northern beans instead. Very easy, quick and delicious!
Jan 13, 2010
Made this tonight for dinner and it is delicious! I added a small can of mushrooms and cut the chili powder back a little (we aren't real crazy about very spicy foods) and it is really delicious! Hope you try it and like it as much as we did. Recipe is a keeper!
Jan 11, 2010
This is an incredibly simple meal to make and is definitely a keeper. My family absolutely loves it.
Dec 8, 2009
This was great. I had to substitute pinto beans for the black beans but will make it again.
Oct 16, 2009
Hubby and I loved this Dish. Since we are both low-carbing I left out the kidney and black beans and added a small bag of frozen cauliflower, it was delish.