Hearty Chicken Noodle Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add the broth, carrots, celery and savory. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over chicken mixture. Add noodles; mix well.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 343 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 5, 2019
Very good and thanks for sharing.
Feb 2, 2016
I used left over roast chicken so l did not fry. I added a tsp of sambal, should have been more.It was very good, it took longer to make than said....but l boiled the noodles then did everything in the same pan, pot. I mixed the flour and butter so long didn't need to have another pot, added to the veg. And added the milk.I would make this again. Janet. VFE
Jan 10, 2015
My 17-year old son has made this three times this winter and everyone who tries it, loves it! Thanks for sharing it with us! It's a winner!!
Jan 9, 2014
Good quick meal and the family loved it.
Dec 30, 2012
I've made this several times, hearty comfort food! My family loves it!
Dec 14, 2011
This recipe is also easily adapted for a gluten-free diet. Noodles made from brown rice can be used, and you can change the 3 tbsp of flour to 3 tbsp of corn starch.
Oct 26, 2011
This recipe is easy, relatively quick, and the flavors were good. But I found the proportions to be off. There was far too much liquid, even after I removed some from the vegetable-and-chicken mixture, before adding the noodles and sauce. After baking for the designated time, the dish was soupy; after baking seven extra minutes, at which point the top layer started to get crispy, it was still not a casserole. It tasted good, but was not what I expected after reading the recipe.
Oct 16, 2011
This is one of my go-to favorites. I've made this many times and love it every time. It's filling without being too heavy. Great on those cold days/nights!
May 9, 2011
My family LOVED this simple casserole. Our store did not have savory, so I substituted a scant measurement of poultry seasoning & used about 1 cup mild cheddar.
May 4, 2011
I didn't have savory, so used sage instead. It was absolutely delicious. My husband and I both went back for seconds.