Chicken & Cheese Noodle Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti, broken
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onions and peppers in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, soups, sour cream, celery salt and pepper.
- Drain spaghetti; add to sauce mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake as directed, increasing covered time to 40 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 509 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Apr 5, 2020
Made this to share with family. It made 3 casseroles, it was good! I will definitely make again! I did add 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne just to add a little flavor!
Jan 31, 2020
We loved this! Really delicious and a great way to use up leftover chicken if you have it. Instead of the cream of chicken and mushroom soup I used two cans of cream of mushroom, and omitted the celery salt. Great weeknight dinner.....easy to put together and very good! Will make this one again and again!
Jan 30, 2020
I did add some Italian seasoning and topped it with seasoned bread crumbs before baking. YUM.
Dec 10, 2019
This was very very good. It was a bit difficult in a small kitchen and I had to have my husband lift the pot to put it into the baking pans, but it was more than worth it.
Oct 18, 2019
Oh my goodness, this is the best casserole ever. Don't skip the sour cream, it really rounds out the richness of this casserole. This is a hit with the whole family and my go to recipe for someone who might be in need of a meal. I use one less can of soup, only for the sodium content and make a little extra béchamel sauce. You will not be disappointed with this recipe.
May 22, 2019
I am a gourmet cook and used to be an upscale caterer. Sometimes a very simple recipe is just what busy momand#039;s need for a weeknight. Some very simple quick and easy recipes are very good. This is one of them.
Apr 8, 2019
Served this with a salad for a lunch guest. Rave reviews and he went back 3 times. I had buccatini so I used that in place of spaghetti. Thanks for this one.
Mar 10, 2019
This was good and very similar to another recipe that I already use. Family enjoyed it and I will keep this recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Jan 12, 2019
A great "go-to" recipe to have on hand! I use no-yolk egg noodles instead of spaghetti, and add a bit of red pepper flakes for a tiny kick. Otherwise, follow exactly as written and it turns out perfectly every time! Love having a second one in the freezer to use during busy work weeks. Thanks for the recipe!
Nov 16, 2018
this was really good. I halved it for the two of us. I also added a can of french fried onion rings on top, which we really liked. I did add a little garlic, rosemary and thyme as a few people commented that it needed more spices. That combo worked well. I liked it this way but thought I might try adding some broccoli to it next time just to make it a little different.