German Noodle Bake
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 quarts water
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, diced
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in center; add eggs. Stir together, forming a dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Dust both sides of dough with flour; roll up, jelly-roll style. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Unroll noodles on paper towels; let dry for up to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a rapid boil. Add noodles; cook 7-9 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in eggs.
- Drain noodles; transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with cheese sauce. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 275 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 148mg cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Sep 7, 2019
This recipe had great noodles, which was the best part. For the review stating it was bland, I wonder why it wasn't tasted to maybe add something you liked to the sauce? I did it exactly except that I added a teaspoon of dry mustard since we all like that in macaroni and cheese. It was delicious. You certainly could change cheese but the basic recipe is very good. Thanks for sharing it.
Jan 5, 2019
Sorry, we didn't care for this at all. Too dry and bland.
Jan 14, 2012
Great recipe! Instead of making homemade noodles I used 2 cups of uncooked ziti pasta. I also switched swiss cheese for cheddar. I found this recipe to be a lot like mac and cheese but for some reason tasted better. When it came to the step to bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes, I sprinkled the top with about 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs and some extra paprika. Nice compliment to chicken. Will make again!