Spinach Noodle Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Paprika, optional
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Arrange half of the noodles in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish; layer half of the spinach and half of the Swiss cheese. Spread with half of the white sauce. Repeat layers. Layer with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 210 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 5, 2012
I added 1 c. chopped cooked turkey and put it in the casserole after the 2nd layer of noodles. I substituted grated Mexican mix cheese for cheddar. I also cut the recipe in half but it'll serve 4. I will freeze the remaining to have for another meal.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.