Cheesy Spinach-Stuffed Shells
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- Additional minced fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta shells according to package directions for al dente. Drain; rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, ricotta cheese, spinach, basil and pepper. Stir in olives, mushroom mixture and 3/4 cup each cheese blend and mozzarella cheese.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Fill pasta shells with cheese mixture; place in baking dish, overlapping ends slightly. Spoon remaining sauce over top.
- Bake, covered, 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil.
Nutrition Facts3 stuffed shells: 313 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.
Oct 15, 2017
This is very good. The only changes I made were to eliminate the ripe olives because my husband does not care for them and I used spaghetti sauce rather than marinara because I like the flavor belter.
Jul 17, 2017
Easy, tasty dish. I added 1 can stewed tomatoes crushed in my hands cuz I love tomatoes & for more texture to the sauce & 1 tsp. oregano. I would have preferred the onions & mushrooms in the sauce, and I omitted olives cuz I don't like them, but great recipe - thanks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.