Bacon-Cheese Stuffed Shells
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded Romano cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, beat ricotta and 4 ounces cream cheese until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, Parmesan cheese, bacon, 1 tablespoon parsley, garlic salt, nutmeg, pepper and mushroom mixture. Spoon into shells; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream, broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Romano cheese and the remaining cream cheese, Asiago and parsley.
- Pour over shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 554 calories, 42g fat (26g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Apr 15, 2014
I made this tonight and it was very good.. I added chicken to it. I'm thinking of making it with Hamburger and Bacon next time..
Mar 2, 2014
I cut the recipe in half when I cooked this for myself and tried freezing it. When reheated, it tasted just like it did right out of the oven. This worked out well because I had enough stuff to make it three times.
Apr 4, 2012
THESE ARE AMAZING!!!!! I just wish someone else would make them!! :) :) My husband LOVES THEM!!!!! If they didn't take so much time to make he'd probably ask me to make them once a week! lol
Feb 24, 2012
These were very good and will make them again. I used chopped shrimp and half and half. Next time I'll cut back a little on the bacon in order 2 taste the shrimp more. Love this.
Dec 8, 2011
Very very yummy, even better as leftovers !!!
Sep 25, 2011
I forgot to mention that I made this without mushrooms and used Italian Blend Cheese instead of Asiago, Parmesan & Romano like another reviewer suggested. It did take some time to prepare but is well worth it!
Sep 25, 2011
This is sooo yummy! To reduce the calories & fat I used Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend, Low-Fat Ricotta Cheese, Fat Free Cream Cheese, Fat-Free/Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Skim Milk & Turkey Bacon. This turned out great--tasted like something from a restaurant! Both my husband & I say its a "keeper"! I will say that the sauce is very rich and cheesy--reminded me of Alfredo Sauce. Thanks for sharing a great recipe:)
Sep 23, 2011
Amazing! They are a favorite at our house and among our freezer cooking group.
Sep 21, 2011
We love this receipe...I made it with all the same stuff....Next time i will add chicken or shrimp maybe both
Sep 16, 2011
Extremely rich and indulgent! One shell is enough!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.