Bacon-Cheese Stuffed Shells
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded Romano cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, beat ricotta and 4 ounces cream cheese until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, Parmesan cheese, bacon, 1 tablespoon parsley, garlic salt, nutmeg, pepper and mushroom mixture. Spoon into shells; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream, broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Romano cheese and the remaining cream cheese, Asiago and parsley.
- Pour over shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 554 calories, 42g fat (26g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Apr 15, 2014
I made this tonight and it was very good.. I added chicken to it. I'm thinking of making it with Hamburger and Bacon next time..
Mar 2, 2014
I cut the recipe in half when I cooked this for myself and tried freezing it. When reheated, it tasted just like it did right out of the oven. This worked out well because I had enough stuff to make it three times.
Apr 4, 2012
THESE ARE AMAZING!!!!! I just wish someone else would make them!! :) :) My husband LOVES THEM!!!!! If they didn't take so much time to make he'd probably ask me to make them once a week! lol
Feb 24, 2012
These were very good and will make them again. I used chopped shrimp and half and half. Next time I'll cut back a little on the bacon in order 2 taste the shrimp more. Love this.
Dec 8, 2011
Very very yummy, even better as leftovers !!!
Sep 25, 2011
I forgot to mention that I made this without mushrooms and used Italian Blend Cheese instead of Asiago, Parmesan & Romano like another reviewer suggested. It did take some time to prepare but is well worth it!
Sep 25, 2011
This is sooo yummy! To reduce the calories & fat I used Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend, Low-Fat Ricotta Cheese, Fat Free Cream Cheese, Fat-Free/Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Skim Milk & Turkey Bacon. This turned out great--tasted like something from a restaurant! Both my husband & I say its a "keeper"! I will say that the sauce is very rich and cheesy--reminded me of Alfredo Sauce. Thanks for sharing a great recipe:)
Sep 23, 2011
Amazing! They are a favorite at our house and among our freezer cooking group.
Sep 21, 2011
We love this receipe...I made it with all the same stuff....Next time i will add chicken or shrimp maybe both
Sep 16, 2011
Extremely rich and indulgent! One shell is enough!