Cheesy Shell Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 8 ounces uncooked small shell pasta
- 2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 11 slices (8 ounces) reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Place half of the pasta in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat sauce, sour cream and provolone cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until the cheese begins to brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 346 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
May 28, 2018
This was a cross between a lasagna and casserole. Either way, it was very good. I'll will rotate this with my other lasagna recipes.
Feb 4, 2016
I've been making this recipe for 10 years now, it's a regular in the rotation. I omit the mushrooms and used dried onions. Also great with sweet or hot Italian sausage.
Nov 15, 2014
It tasted delicious (I used a butternut squash sauce and a little extra meat - 2 lbs.), however, I think next time I'll mix up a little ricotta and egg with the noodles. It didn't stay together at all and was more like a goulash.
Oct 26, 2014
Wonderful! I used regular sour cream and provolone cheese, not low-fat.
Feb 16, 2014
This was so good, my husband asked to put it on our rotating list. It was easy and the flavors were great. Will be making again.
Jan 16, 2014
Absolutely Delicious!!! However I did leave out the mushrooms cause I don't like them and added ricotta with half the sour cream!! Yummy indeed!
Aug 4, 2013
Love it!! My whole family loves it!! Excellent recipe and will be made quite often here.
Jul 16, 2013
The sour cream and provolone make this lasagna very unique. Delicous
Mar 3, 2013
Yummy weeknight dinner or a good potluck choice. I had medium, not small, shells but I think small are better. I also added fennel seed to the sauce as a previous reviewer suggested. I will definitely make this again.
Mar 8, 2012
I prefer this low fat lasagna recipe to my previous recipe. It was so good my family wanted it two days in a row!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.