Cheesy Pizza Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 7 ounces vermicelli, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, pepperoni, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in mushrooms; set aside.
- Combine vermicelli and butter in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; toss to coat. Pour 1 cup tomato sauce over pasta; top with half of meat mixture. Combine Swiss and mozzarella cheeses; sprinkle half over top. Sprinkle with oregano and basil. Layer with remaining meat and cheese mixtures. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 422 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Jan 17, 2017
I left out the mushrooms, added more sauce, and saved some of the cheese for the topping. Very tasty!
Aug 16, 2016
We really liked this recipe!! I followed it as written. The only thing I did different was to add a diced tomato from my garden. Will be making it again.
Jul 14, 2016
This was really good and very easy.The only change I made was omitting the mushrooms( we don't like them) and I cut the recipe in halfIt was a filling and easy meal served with salad and garlic bread
Jul 13, 2016
made this with ground turkey, omitted the butter,used olive oil instead and skipped the basil and oregano added cajun seasoning instead and added sliced andouille instead of pepperoni..this was awesome..BUT i also made it using all the original recipe ingredients and it was very very good.
Apr 1, 2016
This recipe sounds like something my family would like, however, is the butter really necessary? Sounds like a lot of fat that might not really be needed. Anyone?
Mar 31, 2016
My family enjoyed this recipe! I did make a couple of changes because of taste preferences: we used deli ham that I cut into pieces instead of the pepperoni, I increased the basil and oregano to the recommended 1tsp., and I added a jar of sliced mushrooms (drained). Everything else I left the same. It was good! My family has asked me to make it again, so this makes it a keeper in my book. Thank you to Judy in Kentucky for sharing her recipe with us! Just a side note to the commenter below...casserole recipes usually do look like a mess in a pan, that's the point. You "throw" ingredients together to cook. It's not supposed to look like a 5 star restaurant's plate.
Jan 27, 2015
we felt this was a little dry for us, we'll definitely try again with extra sauce and only pepperoni with no other meats. I also used fresh mushrooms and added black olives.
Jul 1, 2014
I used ground turkey and turkey pepperoni. For the cheese, I used Italian blend and increased amount to 6 cups, omitting the Swiss cheese. I would increase the oregano and basil to 1 tsp. each.
Jun 10, 2014
Super delicious, easy to make and got great responses from my whole family.
Jul 30, 2013
Fantastic casserole. I did not have vermicelli so I used thin spaghetti. I will definitely make this again.