Deep-Fried Mac & Cheese Shells
I created this deep-friend mac and cheese recipe for my husband, who loves mac & cheese. He describes this recipe as "unbelievably delicious" because of the crispy deep-fried coating and the creamy richness on the inside. —Shirley Rickis, Lady Lake, Florida
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes20 appetizers (2-1/2 cups dipping sauce)
- 2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 20 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (16 ounces) Velveeta, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Cook pastas separately according to package directions for al dente; drain. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add Velveeta, cheddar cheese, cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until blended. Remove from heat.
- In another large saucepan, combine small pasta shells and half of the cheese mixture; set aside. For dipping sauce, stir 1 cup milk into remaining cheese mixture; keep warm.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs with remaining milk. In another shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs with remaining Parmesan cheese. Place flour in a third shallow bowl. Fill each large shell with scant 1/4 cup pasta mixture. Dip in flour to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in bread crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shells, a few at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until dark golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with dipping sauce.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer with 2 tablespoons dipping sauce: 340 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Mar 15, 2019
This is pretty good, just needs a bit more to kick it up. The shells come out with a good crisp and inner Mac is really smooth. Just little bit on the bland side for my family. I'm maybe going to add garlic and cayenne next time.