Cheesy Chicken ‘n’ Shells
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add soup, cheese and seasonings. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Drain pasta; place in a bowl. Stir in soup mixture and chicken. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 429 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1304mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Jan 1, 2017
Absolutely amazing! Easily one of my family's favorite meals.
Mar 24, 2016
This really wasn't all that great. I thought it was bland. I would rather make Mac and cheese and put chicken in it. I won't make this again. I just didn't think it was worth the trouble. We didn't even eat the leftovers :(
Feb 2, 2016
I served this to 3 friends and they loved it. I added more cheese than the recipe called for and it was very yummy! Will definitely serve this again.
Jan 3, 2013
I added 3/4 cup of peas & carrots. Tasted fabulous!
Dec 7, 2012
Whole family loved it!
Jun 25, 2012
very good! wouldn't change a thing!
Dec 13, 2011
The cheese sauce is absolutely delicious. Overall, the recipe is great. I added double the amount of salt (used reduced sodium broth to control salt content) and pepper and add a dash of red pepper.
Oct 17, 2011
It was alright but pretty average. I didn't add salt and it was still a little salty.
May 28, 2011
This is very good and pretty simple. I substituted whole wheat rotini for the semolina shells. I've made it several times for our fellowship, using a crockpot. Cook the pasta for a few minutes less than directed on the pkg. so it's not soggy.
Mar 25, 2011
I used 2 cups whole wheat shells, and used 3 cups shredded cheese instead of velveeta. I topped it off with crumbled Cheez-its.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.