Cheesy Fish Fillets with Spinach
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- Dash nutmeg
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash white pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar or shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound cod, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Stir in the flour, bouillon, nutmeg, cayenne and white pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted; set aside.
- Place spinach in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Arrange fish on spinach; sprinkle with salt. Spoon sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika; bake 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 307 calories, 16g fat (0 saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 860mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Sep 18, 2015
I have been making this dish for several years. It is delicious and easy to make. When I make it for company, I'm always asked for the recipe. I usually use mild or medium cheddarcheese--yummy. Makes a smooth, creamy sauce. Goes well with a garden salad and rice medley for sides.
Aug 19, 2013
Love this recipe. I make it with salmon and only use half the spinach called for. I also use cheddar cheese. Yum!
Feb 10, 2012
I have made this recipe dozens of times over the years. it's an easy, dependably good way to serve fish. I have often made this with chopped broccoli rather than spinach, and some family members actually prefer this with broccoli.
May 3, 2011
I am so glad this recipe was posted. I had cut this out from one of my old issues of Taste of Home several years ago and have made it several times. I think I was in the process of planning to type it up and lost the recipe and I was about to make it for supper. So relieved to find it here, because it is one of my family's favorites and all of my 6 kids love it. I like to serve it over brown rice, which stretches it a little further. When I do that, for 8 people, I triple the sauce, double the fish, and double the spinach. I have made this successfully with some substitutions: I have used both almond and rice milk, and whole wheat pastry flour. I also use tilapia instead of cod and have left out the nutmeg.
Jul 24, 2010
This is wonderful... we love spinach and have lots of fish. tried this one tonight a winner for sure!