Cheesy Spinach-stuffed Meat Loaf
For an extra special treat for supper, try this meatloaf. The combination of spinach and cheese makes it fancy enough to serve to guests.—National Livestock and Meat Board
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground round
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, lightly combine meat loaf ingredients. On a waxed paper, pat into a 14x10-in. rectangle.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spread over rectangle, leaving 3/4 in. around edges. Starting with a short end, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Press meat mixture over filling at both ends to seal. Place loaf, seam side down, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Spread with ketchup; bake for 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand a few minutes. Cut into 1-in. thick slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 259 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 776mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Cheesy Spinach-stuffed Meat Loaf in Taste of Home April/May 1994
Apr 28, 2009
Although never easy to try and roll meat loaves, this was very good. I think I'll try using a rack next time to prevent sticking.
Feb 16, 2009
This was FABULOUS!!! My family loved it, from my 9 year-old grandson to my husband. Yummy Yummy Yummy!