Breaded Spinach-Stuffed Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach (5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook spinach in 1/2 in. of water over medium heat just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Drain and set spinach aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the seasonings; add spinach and set aside.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread spinach mixture down the center of each chicken breast. Fold one side over filling and roll up tightly; secure with a toothpick. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and paprika. In another bowl, combine egg substitute and water. Dip each roll-up in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture.
- Place seam side down, in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 260 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 16, 2017
I did a review a few minutes ago, but it did not show up. Will try again. This was very good. I also used frozen spinach and it came out fine. Thanks for the recipe.
May 16, 2017
This was good. I also used frozen spinach and it came out quite well. Will make it again. Thanks for the recipe.
Sep 27, 2010
A little messy to put together, but well worth the effort. It's a favorite.
May 12, 2010
My family loved this recipe! You can use frozen spinach instead of fresh; I thawed it and squeezed the water out, then combined it with the rest of the filling ingredients.