Breaded Spinach-Stuffed Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach (5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook spinach in 1/2 in. of water over medium heat just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Drain and set spinach aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the seasonings; add spinach and set aside.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread spinach mixture down the center of each chicken breast. Fold one side over filling and roll up tightly; secure with a toothpick. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and paprika. In another bowl, combine egg substitute and water. Dip each roll-up in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture.
- Place seam side down, in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 260 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
May 16, 2017
I did a review a few minutes ago, but it did not show up. Will try again. This was very good. I also used frozen spinach and it came out fine. Thanks for the recipe.
May 16, 2017
This was good. I also used frozen spinach and it came out quite well. Will make it again. Thanks for the recipe.
Sep 27, 2010
A little messy to put together, but well worth the effort. It's a favorite.
May 12, 2010
My family loved this recipe! You can use frozen spinach instead of fresh; I thawed it and squeezed the water out, then combined it with the rest of the filling ingredients.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.