Cheesy Turkey Meat Loaf
Nothing says comfort food better than meat loaf! Get this one started in the morning and you’ll have a delicious hot meal ready for Sunday dinner. —Deanna Laughinghouse, Raleigh, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fold an 18-in. square piece of heavy-duty foil in half to make an 18x9-in. strip. Place strip on bottom and up sides of a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Coat strip with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add turkey, 2 cups cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese; mix lightly but thoroughly (mixture will be moist). Shape meat into an 8x5-in. loaf; place in center of strip.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°. Sprinkle with remaining cheese during the last 20 minutes of cooking. Using ends of foil strip as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Freeze option: Prepare meat loaf as directed, omitting cheddar cheese over top. Securely wrap cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze; freeze cheese in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaf; reheat on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 540 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 1522mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 45g protein.
Originally published as Crockpot Cheesy Meatloaf in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.