Favorite Hamburger Noodle Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions until al dente; drain. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the noodles, soup, cheese, water and chili sauce. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casseroles. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake as directed, increasing covered time to 45-50 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 477 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 7, 2018
I have never given a 2 star before but my family would not eat it. Complaints were, couldn't taste the beef, flavorless and way too much, 1.5 Cups, breadcrumbs. I keep looking at the recipe to see if I was missing something. With all the great reviews can't figure out what went wrong in such a simple recipe.
Aug 28, 2017
Very easy and quick to make, good flavor. I added diced tomatoes also..
Jul 2, 2017
Will definitely make again.
Mar 30, 2017
Very good for a nice, filling dinner with easy to re-heat leftovers.
Dec 18, 2014
DH really enjoyed this. It was relatively easy to prepare. I used 8 oz. macaroni instead of the egg noodles, and I omitted the chili sauce 'cause I didn't have any. A really good, basic recipe, great for those "I don't know what to make and don't have much time" days.
Oct 28, 2014
This was so good. We really enjoyed it.
Oct 8, 2014
Very good flavor! We enjoyed it and it reheated well for the hubby the next day.We did freeze one I will update the review when we do as some of the frozen dishes are not as good as the 1st time around.
Feb 23, 2014
A hit for the whole family.
Sep 25, 2012
Wow:) This is the exact recipe that was in my Mom's Better Home and Garden Casserole recipe book I bought her with my reading tokens at a local book fair at my elementery school. How nice to find the recipe again! I haven't had this for dinner in over 30 years. It was one of our favorites
Aug 17, 2012
I'm one of those cooks who starts with a recipe and changes things. My husband won't eat chili sauce so I used tomato sauce instead. I added mushrooms, peas and carrots and extra cheese. Also used french-fried onions on top. Started with half recipe but with added stuff ended up in a 9x13" pan!