Three-Cheese Chicken Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (8 ounces) noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the soup, mushrooms, pimientos and basil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, chicken and cheeses; add mushroom sauce and mix well. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake 15 minutes longer or until browned. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 279 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Jun 24, 2017
The combination of the flavors of this casserole are unforgettably good. We love the mixture of cheeses here.
Dec 2, 2016
Since I had been sick all day, I needed a quick dish to make for dinner. To save time (and my energy) I used canned chicken. I also had to sub cream cheese for the ricotta. Family loved this dish. I wanted to make this a 1 pot meal, so I added some frozen green peas. I did add milk to the mixture to make it creamier. Family loved it! Next time I am going to try ham instead of the chicken.
Oct 7, 2014
This was good. Simple enough. My kids did not care for the pimentos but the husband liked the dish. It was thicker than I expected and it didn't get "bubbly" in oven. Might add a little milk in the soup mixture next time Overall a keeper recipe.
Jan 28, 2014
My fiance and I loved this dish!! I didn't have ricotta cheese on hand, so I added another can of cream of chicken soup. It was still delicious,so I imagine it's even better with the ricotta cheese!
Dec 11, 2011
This casserole is so creamy! I halved the recipe to feed my family of 6. Instead of using condensed chicken soup- try using a healthier and cheaper way to make it. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons flour and stir. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth and 3/4 cup milk to mixture and cook and stir until thickened. Instead of using chicken you can try using cubed fully cooked ham. Instead of using cheddar cheese, you can also try mozzarella cheese. Also, you don't have to bake it for as long as it is said. I baked mine for only 35 minutes without bread crumbs and it was fine and well heated through. Overall, this is a very creamy and easy recipe, I would definitely recommend it.
Oct 22, 2010
Used cottage cheese instead of ricotta and 6-7 cups uncooked noodles
Oct 6, 2010
One of our favorite recipes. We laughed when we read it should serve 12 -15. 6 servings max is all we get out of it. Yum!
May 11, 2010
Very, very dry ended up adding milk to try to moisten. Not enough chicken and only fed a family of 5.
Oct 17, 2009
I thought it was a bit bland. I'm not sure the ricotta adds anything to this dish. Might try sour cream next time. it reminds me of tuna casserole, only with chicken. Grandkids loved it though.
Oct 17, 2009
This is a great dish, especially, in the fall and winter. I made it and my children loved it saying it was real comfort food on a cold and rainy day! Very easy to make. Highly recommend this tasty casserole!