Cheesy Noodle Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (12 servings each)
- 2 packages (1 pound each) wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 5 to 6 cups 2% milk
- 2 pounds process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic salt and onion salt until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the cheese; stir until melted. Stir in noodles.
- Transfer to two greased shallow 2-qt. baking dishes. Combine the bread crumbs and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over casseroles. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 283 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 697mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 14, 2011
I've been looking for a good homemade mac 'n' cheese recipe and this was just that. However, it makes waaay more than would fit in two shallow 2-qt. baking dishes. I had to use two 13 x 9 dishes and when I baked them, they almost bubbled over. To the best of my knowledge, I followed the recipe exactly, using six cups of milk. Anyone else have the same experience?
Nov 4, 2009
I would add chopped ham or Spam and a can of drain sweet peas.
Apr 14, 2008
Add cooked ground beef or chicken
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.