Cheesy Noodle Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (12 servings each)
- 2 packages (1 pound each) wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 5 to 6 cups 2% milk
- 2 pounds process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic salt and onion salt until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the cheese; stir until melted. Stir in noodles.
- Transfer to two greased shallow 2-qt. baking dishes. Combine the bread crumbs and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over casseroles. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 283 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 697mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2011
I've been looking for a good homemade mac 'n' cheese recipe and this was just that. However, it makes waaay more than would fit in two shallow 2-qt. baking dishes. I had to use two 13 x 9 dishes and when I baked them, they almost bubbled over. To the best of my knowledge, I followed the recipe exactly, using six cups of milk. Anyone else have the same experience?
Nov 4, 2009
I would add chopped ham or Spam and a can of drain sweet peas.
Apr 14, 2008
Add cooked ground beef or chicken