Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 cups Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. In a blender, process the tomatoes until smooth. Stir into beef mixture along with mushrooms, tomato paste and seasonings; simmer 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, cheddar, 1/2 cup mozzarella and eggs. Spread 2 cups meat sauce in the bottom of an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange half the noodles over sauce. Spread cheese mixture over noodles. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 351 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 742mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Jun 25, 2017
This one of many delicious lasagna recipes that has come from TOH. this one is special with the blend o 4 cheeses. We love it.
Feb 28, 2017
This is the only lasagna recipe I have ever made since I saw it in the magazine in 1995. I always make two pans right away and freeze one or give away. Fantastic recipe, turns out every time!
Feb 1, 2016
used dried pasta sheets and fresh mushrooms, turned out fine, it was delicious and even my husband who doesn't really like pasta said how good it was.
Jan 26, 2016
Excellent! I use fresh sliced mushrooms and a minced zucchini along with some brown sugar. By far my favorite.
Jan 21, 2016
I made this wonderful Lasagna EXACTLY per the recipe. Served with a garden salad, browned garlic bread, & a nice merlot wine. My wife & I loved it!
Jan 21, 2016
I look forward to trying this. Seems to me, though, that one could just use a can of tomato puree instead of canned tomatoes and then blending them.
Jan 20, 2016
This is just soso. When I make mine I do three layers, with 4 noodles per layer, cutting three to fit the fourth one in without overlapping. I also use the best italian sausage from my favorite Italian market and use fresh sharp aged parmesan. I also use ricotta cheese and mix it with some of the sauce so it spreads easier, none on the top layer.. Mine is putsy I know, its not an every day dish. Mushrooms in Lasagne....NEVER.
Dec 24, 2015
left out the meat sauted a pound of fresh mushrooms ( no canned) Everyone had seconds
Jul 14, 2015
I also cut the amount of noodles in half. My family loves this, I always double it to put one in the freezer for later. We also use the sauce recipe for spaghetti but increase the fennel seed to 1 teaspoon.
Apr 28, 2012
This recipe was not great, just good. I didnt think it was that cheesy and I even added a little more cheese than what it called for. Kathyferickson, 16 oz. of noodles was waaaayyy too much. The recipe says to cook 16 oz of noodles and theres only 2 layers of lasagna noodles so thats 8 oz of noodles per layer. I made it a 3 layer and still only used 9 lasagna noodles because 3 fit perfectly per layer in a 9x13.