Tex-Mex Cheese Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 4 cups coarsely crushed nacho tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Arrange tortilla chips in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese and set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, onion, chilies, ketchup and hot pepper sauce; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 369 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 195mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Aug 21, 2012
Way too much fat content! Taste awful
Oct 2, 2011
Cooked as is. Used Pepper Jack Cheese for a kick. Next time will add chorizo or jalapeno diced for more flavor and kick.
Jan 20, 2010
I would use a lot less tortilla chips and maybe add some salt or salsa. Base reminded me of tamales.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.