Cheddar and Chorizo Strata
Stratas are wonderful for using up bits and pieces of leftovers you have on hand. You can make them meatless, choose different cheeses and meats—have some fun with it! This can be made a day before baking. If you like more heat, use pepper jack cheese. —Kallee Krong-McCreery, Escondido, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 7 cups day-old French bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 ounces fresh chorizo, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 6 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Place 4 cups bread cubes in a single layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and spinach. Layer with chorizo and onion; top with remaining bread and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, garlic salt and mustard. Pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen tips