Tex-Mex Cheesesteak Sandwiches
We adore cheesesteak sandwiches and anything with Southwestern flavor, so I combined the two. If you crave even more firepower, add chopped jalapenos. —Joan Hallford, Fort Worth, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated beef tips with gravy
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 banana pepper, cut into strips
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat hoagie buns, split
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- Preheat broiler. Heat beef tips with gravy according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Place buns on a baking sheet, cut side up. Mix mayonnaise and, if desired, chili powder; spread on roll bottoms. Layer with beef tips, onion mixture and cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and buns are toasted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 600 calories, 36g fat (11g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1312mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Tex Mex Cheesesteak Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.