Swiss Cheese Salad
I entered this recipe that I created myself in a local cooking contest in 1980 - it took first prize! The salad complements any main dish and is also good for picnics or potlucks...just take the lettuce along in a plastic bag or container and toss with the cheese and vegetable mixture when you arrive.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, combine onions, celery, green pepper and olives. In another bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, place lettuce in a large salad bowl; add the cheese and dressing with vegetables. Toss lightly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 237 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Cheese Salad in Country Extra March 1993