Swiss Cheese Salad
I entered this recipe that I created myself in a local cooking contest in 1980 - it took first prize! The salad complements any main dish and is also good for picnics or potlucks...just take the lettuce along in a plastic bag or container and toss with the cheese and vegetable mixture when you arrive.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, combine onions, celery, green pepper and olives. In another bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, place lettuce in a large salad bowl; add the cheese and dressing with vegetables. Toss lightly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 237 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Cheese Salad in Country Extra March 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.