Cream Cheese and Swiss Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + simmering Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 no-cook lasagna noodles
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles. Drop a third of the cream cheese by teaspoonfuls over the top. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2/3 cup each of Parmesan cheese and Swiss cheese; spoon a third of the remaining sauce over the top. Repeat with layers of noodles, cheeses and sauce twice (dish will be full). Place dish on a baking sheet.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 522 calories, 31g fat (17g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 1196mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Nov 10, 2017
This was a pretty good lasagna! I think I overcooked it a bit since the noodles came out mushier than I like. Next time I'll definitely keep the lasagna in the oven for less time. I did two layers were I dropped spoonfuls of cream cheese and one layer were I smeared it. I liked it smeared more, then you don't get a huge glob of it in one bite. I also feel like it could have benefitted from another vegetable... maybe some chopped green pepper? I did cut this recipe in half and used an 8x8 pan, which worked well. Next time I might even cut it into a quarter. Overall a decent recipes which needs a few tweaks.
Jul 2, 2017
This lasagna is awesome!! We love how the flavors come together!! We added chopped green peppers and mushrooms to it. Anything with cream cheese in it makes for a tasty dish!!
Jun 29, 2017
I was really hoping my husband would hate this..it was time consuming and I remember saying..don't like this.. Told me it was the best he ever had!! Worked great for lunches the next few days as well. Note: I'm a vegetarian so I made one for myself..altered it ..maybe that's why it was so time consuming. Will make this again and again... Thanks for sharing a fabulous recipe. I will think of you when I make it over and over..guess what's for dinner tonight :)
Dec 23, 2015
This is my favorite lasagna recipe! It is so decadent that I make it only for Christmas Eve. I usually make 2 of these; one as written and another one a vegetarian version. To make a vegetarian version, I substitute two packages of mushrooms, a chopped carrot and one container of frozen spinach (thawed and drained). I saute the mushrooms with the onions and carrots until most of the moister is evaporated. I also add 1/2 tsp fennel seeds to the sauce because that is what I like about the Italian sausage.
Dec 15, 2014
Made this with gluten free pasta and absolutely loved it. I was skeptical at first about the cream cheese and the swiss, but what a hit!
Mar 11, 2013
I modified this recipe using mushrooms instead of the meat to make it vegetarian. The different cheeses make it an excellent variation of your typical lasagna.
Aug 15, 2012
Absolutely loved this recipe. I used Johnsonville sweet italian sausage and added a few slices of provolone. To die for!
Jul 12, 2012
my husband and all our friends beg me to make this!!!!
May 8, 2012
This is delicious! It's also easier than my usual lasagna. I will make this often.
Apr 2, 2012
My husband and I both loved this lasagne. This is "our" lasagne recipe now.It is very rich, so you can't eat too much at a time, but with a nice side salad it is perfect.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.