Swiss Cheese Bread
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (18-20 inches) French bread
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- Cut bread in half crosswise. Make diagonal cuts, 1 in. apart, through bread but not through bottom. Combine all remaining ingredients. Spread half the butter mixture between bread slices. Spread remaining mixture over top and sides of bread.
- Place bread on double thickness of foil; cover loosely with more foil. Bake at 425° for 20-30 minutes. For last 5 minutes, remove foil covering bread to allow it to brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 187 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 30, 2018
Delicious bread. Love using Swiss cheese. I've always used a Cheddar or mozzarella but never Swiss...really good!
Jan 3, 2018
I made a smaller version of this recipe using six fresh Italian rolls. I used 1/2-stick butter and about a cup of finely shredded Swiss cheese. Great taste that went well with a cup of creamed vegetable soup.
Dec 10, 2017
I have a question for anybody. Why do you cut the loaf in half? (Step 1). Is the recipe only for 12 loaf?
Jul 12, 2017
I just had 2 changes: I used a loaf of braided challah bread and I used poppy seeds! I didn't have the celery seeds or a French bread on hand. This bread is FULL of cheesy and buttery goodness! Thank you for sharing this recipe! delowenstein