Swiss Mushroom Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, unsliced
- 1 block (8 ounces) Swiss cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup softened butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°, Cut bread diagonally into 1-in. slices to within 1 in. of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Place cheese cubes and mushrooms in cuts.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine remaining ingredients; microwave, covered, on high until butter is melted, 30-60 seconds. Stir until blended. Spoon over bread.
- Wrap loaf in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake until cheese is melted, about 40 minutes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 214 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 13, 2018
I had to sub mozzarella cheese. Huge hit.
Jan 2, 2013
My adult children LOVED this. I don't think they will ever serve plain Italian loaf again. The kids don't like swiss cheese so I substituted PepperJack and it was very yummy too.
Oct 30, 2009
I took this loaf to a party when asked to bring garlic bread. One of the guests remarked that it was the best item at the party. Delicious! I have made it several times.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.