Swiss Mushroom Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, unsliced
- 1 block (8 ounces) Swiss cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup softened butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut bread diagonally into 1-in. slices to within 1 in. of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Place cheese cubes and mushrooms in cuts.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine remaining ingredients; microwave, covered, on high until butter is melted, 30-60 seconds. Stir until blended. Spoon over bread.
- Wrap loaf in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake until cheese is melted, about 40 minutes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 214 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 21, 2018
I did not have Italian bread, so I'd used a loaf of baked bread from Panera's. I'd made my own garlic-onion spread with cheese which I'd spread on the loaf which had been halved. Then I used the butter mixture which had been presented in the recipe and spooned over the loaf which I put back together after making the cuts and using 7-oz. SLICED Swiss cheese. I did not have mushrooms. I baked the bread about 25 to 30 minutes. This bread sure looked and had an appetizing aroma to it while baking.
Jan 13, 2018
I had to sub mozzarella cheese. Huge hit.
Jan 2, 2013
My adult children LOVED this. I don't think they will ever serve plain Italian loaf again. The kids don't like swiss cheese so I substituted PepperJack and it was very yummy too.
Oct 30, 2009
I took this loaf to a party when asked to bring garlic bread. One of the guests remarked that it was the best item at the party. Delicious! I have made it several times.